IVF is not something to be considered taboo anymore especially when there are so many cases of it. Having trouble conceiving naturally, especially when you are so ready to have a baby, can be emotionally draining and highly stressful for couples. But with modern medicine, there is so much one can do. High-stress levels and crazy lifestyles have been cited as primary causes for the alarming number of couples being unable to conceive naturally. If you decide to go ahead with IVF treatment, you should know what to expect.
Statistics show that 1 in every 6 couples is affected by infertility. In-vitro fertilization is an option for these couples who yearn to have a baby, but what are the costs involved? We break it down for you.
What is IVF?
In Vitro Fertilization is an assisted reproductive technology and is commonly referred to as IVF. IVF is the process of fertilization by extracting eggs, retrieving a sperm sample, and then manually combining an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish. The embryo(s) is then transferred to the uterus. From start to finish this process can take between 4-6 weeks. This completes one cycle of IVF. You should also know that there are several other options like fertility drugs, surrogacy or adoption that your doctor will suggest before bringing IVF into the picture.
Image source: Southend fertility
When you opt for IVF, you should be aware of the cost of an IVF cycle and the emotional, psychological, mental and marital stress you will have to endure.
The average IVF cost in India is Rs. 2,50,000 for one cycle, but it can be as much as Rs. 4,50,000 or more.
These prices are for one cycle of IVF at a private infertility hospital. Government-run infertility clinics are few and far between.
Image source: https://www.momnewsdaily.com/
Factors Influencing IVF Cost:
- Location – different cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune etc all have different IVF cycle costs
- Age – women over 35 may not be able to conceive in the first cycle and would require multiple treatment cycles compared to a younger woman.
- Sperm Donor /Egg costs – if there is an infertility issue, you may need sperm or eggs donated. This is an additional cost that should be factored in.
- The cost of frozen embryos – Some couples opt to freeze the extra eggs for a later date in case this cycle doesn’t work.
Why Couples Are Flocking To India For IVF Treatment
Image Source: https://www.eggdonors.asia
India is a forerunner in the world of medical tourism. IVF treatment in India is extremely affordable compared to what people would pay in their own country.
- India has state-of-the-art technology available, which costs so much more in advanced countries like the US, UK, etc.
- We also have experienced IVF specialists on par with the other countries.
- English-speaking staff is useful since the patients can converse. In other countries like Thailand and Mexico, language is a big barrier.
What You Should Be Aware Of:
- Check for hidden costs. Make sure you ask what the IVF treatment includes – blood tests, fertility drugs, ultrasound etc.
- Every IVF cycle is not successful. You may need more than one before you get pregnant.
- Emotionally and physically it’s a very challenging time so you will need all the support you can get from your spouse and family.
- Choose your fertility clinic based on the expert doctors attached to the clinic and not the cost only.
- The chances of twins/triplets are high, so be prepared for more than one baby.