Halloween is around the corner and we are sure your kids must be super excited! From throwing the perfect Halloween party to planning the treats, costumes and decor, it is going to be a busy week, we tell you! The li'l ones will surely have a long list of spooky costumes they would want to try on for this year, and that needn't mean running to the stores at the last minute!
Be it ghosts, skeletons, or evil witches- we tell you how you can make your own creative Halloween costumes. Use these simple DIY not so scary steps to make your own very scary Halloween costumes!
- An Old Umbrella
- Cellophane paper or broad satin ribbon or gift wrappers matching to umbrella’s colour
- Scraps of black and white paper
- Glue or Cello Tape
- Cut cellophane into 1-inch broad strips and stick it to edges of the open umbrella.
- Make eyes with scraps of white and black chart paper. Stick it on an umbrella.
- Dress your child in a jumper or matching t-shirt and trousers.
- 2 pairs of Big Black Socks
- Kids old clothes or clothes rags to fill socks
- Black Woollen Thread
- Black Kids Cap
- Scraps of black and white paper or Googly Eyes
- Stuff the socks with kids old t-shirts or napkins or any clothes rags to make it stiff. These will be spider’s legs. Attach these on both the sides of black t-shirt or sweatshirt.
- Make two eyes with black and white paper and stick it on a cap to make spider’s eyes.
- Dress your child in black top and bottom. Tie the legs with t shirt’s sleeves with a black woollen thread as shown in the picture.
Stick figure costume
- Black duct or Cello Tape
- White Chart Paper
- Black Marker
- Wear a white top and bottom and stick the tape as shown in the picture.
- Cut the white chart paper in a round shape and draw the features with a black marker as shown in the picture.
- Stick a puppet stick to hold the mask or secure both ends with an elastic band to make a face mask.
- Black Chart Paper
- Paper Glass
- Red Cello Tape
- Scraps of white chart paper
- Draw and cut two pirate hat shapes on black chart paper as shown in the picture. Cut a 2-inch broad stripe for headband as per the child’s measurement. Stick pirate hat shape on both sides of the headband. Alternatively, you can staple each side of the hat.
- Draw and cut a skeleton shape on white chart paper, make details of a skeleton with a black marker and stick on the front part of the hat.
- Now decorate the paper glass with red cello tape as shown in the picture. Cut a hook shape from black chart paper an stick it on the bottom part of the paper glass. You can make binocular with same paper glass but stick a tissue paper holder instead of a hook.
- Dress your child in a white t-shirt and black trousers. Put on the hat and hook on the hand
- Bright colour chart paper
- Cello tape
- Party hats
- Draw and cut triangles from bright colour chart paper and stick it on the back of the t-shirt.
- Decorate a birthday cap as shown in the picture.
- Draw and cut dinosaur mask of your Make appropriate features on the mask. Draw and cut dinosaur feet as shown in the pictures.
- Dress your child in bright colour t-shirt and trousers and put on headgear and mask.
- White chart paper or duct tape
- Cello Tape
- Draw and cut skeleton shapes from white chart paper.
- Dress your child in a black t-shirt and trousers. Stick the pieces of skeleton cutouts on the dress.
- Alternatively, you can use white duct tape and stick it as shown in the picture.
Traffic Signal Costume
- Black Garbage Bag
- Orange, yellow, black and green colour chart papers
- Cello Tape
- A Whistle
- Cut out armholes and neck on the bottom part of the garbage bag.
- Cut out three circle shapes from each colour chart paper to make signal lights. Stick it on the front part of the garbage bag.
- Cut a crown shape from black chart paper and make a crown. Stick arrows on the crown as shown in the picture.
- Dress your child in a t-shirt and trousers put on the garbage bag costume on top of the t-shirt. Put on the crown and hang a whistle around the neck.
Jelly Belly Costume
- Transparent Plastic Bag
- Assorted coloured Balloons or soft Plastic Balls
- Red chart paper
- Blow the balloons and fill the bottom part of the big transparent plastic bag with all colours balloons. Use the handle of the plastic bag as armholes.
- Alternatively, take 2 huge sheets of transparent plastic. Secure two top edges with satin ribbon or stapler. Fold both sheets into half to make front and back pouches. Stick the sides of the folded part with glue or stapler.
- Fill each pouch with balloons. Make the jelly belly tag with coloured papers and stick on a plastic bag.
- Dress your child in in white top and bottom. Put the plastic bag on top of the dress.
- Orange Felt or Orange T-shirt
- Black chart paper
- Green chart paper
- Fold a rectangle piece of orange felt paper into half. Cut a semi-circle in the centre to make the neck.
- Draw and cut features for pumpkin face as shown in the picture. Stick it on a cape or an orange t-shirt.
- Cut some triangles from green chart paper to stick around the neck.
- Draw and cut a circle from green chart paper and secure two sides with an elastic band to make a pumpkin hat
- Dress your child in any same colour top and bottom. Put the pumpkin cape through the neck and put on the hat.
- White chart paper
- Golden Glitter
- Rainbow Colour Net or Gift Wrapping Net
- Draw and cut wings as shown in the picture. Decorate the wings with some glitter. Attach these on back of a white t-shirt.
- Cut five to six pieces of net approximately 15 inches length and make a bunch buy tying it all at one end it. Attach this bunch below the wings.
- Now cut some chart paper to make a long cone. Decorate the cone with gold glitter and stick it on the hairband. If you have some plastic or fabric flowers or bows stick it beside the cone on the hairband.
- Dress your child in a white t-shirt and trousers and put on the hairband.
Image courtesy: sheknows.com