At the end of every year, no matter how it has been, I cannot help but be filled with a sense of hope, a tingle of excitement about what lies in the year ahead. What wondrous things will happen to me? What does the year hold for my family? So even when a particular year has been stressful and exhausting, it is with positivity rather than scepticism that I find myself facing the one to come. I also tend to have a mental list of wishes rather than resolutions, of things I want for myself – new car, thinner body (no surprises there!), more clothes – the list goes on.
Lately, I’ve found two things that I’ve been doing differently with my list: my personal list has become more about internal growth and health rather than things I want. I’ve also started thinking about things I want in the year ahead for my kids, as a way of envisioning how I want their year to be. This too has been more from a growth perspective than one of drift boards and Justice tops.
As this year comes to a close, I thought I’d write about what I would wish for all children for the new year So here goes…
- I wish for you- peace of mind, the ability to sleep every night, knowing you are loved and cared for and valued.
- I wish for you- freedom from fear of the world around you, and the knowledge that you are safe.
- I wish for you- a blissful ignorance of the times we live in, for only then will you be able to retain the innocence of being a child.
- I wish for you- contentment with what you have and the ability to enjoy it without constantly hankering for something new.
- I wish for you- the ability to look at the world and all it contains – natural and man-made – with wonder rather than the jaded eyes of one who has seen it all.
- I wish for you- first awareness, and then sensitivity and kindness towards all those who are not as fortunate as you – those who are different in terms of ability, intelligence, status and circumstance.
- I wish for you- love and respect for the earth we live on and the resources that are finite.
- I wish for you- the gift of losing yourself in the world of books, for with a book, you will never be alone.
- I wish for you- the eyes to see and the heart to recognise the beauty in simplicity – light shining on a dewdrop and making it glow like a diamond, the warmth of the sun on a winter’s day, the saltiness of the sea – experiences that are priceless in themselves.
- Above all, I wish you peace, joy, and love.