Each time I talk to my mom about the daughters academic progress and she insists that I do a lot of Math with her. Math according to most parents is the foundation of everything. What has really changed between then and now is just the method of learning. The daughter who is now studying odd and even numbers has been taught a way to figure out which ones are odd and which ones are even. If I went back to my kindergarten years I think we just learnt by rote learning that these were odd numbers and these were even.
A lot of my friends have been enrolling their kids in Maths Enrichment classes and we caught up with the Singapore based program called Seriously Addictive Maths
( S.A.M.). The first logical question would be:
Why Singapore Maths?
Singapore’s students have been consistently high performers, ranking first in the world in Mathematics on the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) since 1995. As a result researchers the world over have explored its approach and instructions.
The 5 key aspects of Singapore’s Maths Framework is
- Skills such as estimation, mental calculation, arithmetic and algebraic calculation
- Numerical, geometrical, algebraic concepts
- Processes and thinking skills
- Monitoring One’s own thinking
- Attitudes towards math, interest, perseverance, confidence.
Before I take you through all the points I would urge you to call them and visit the centre and take Free Trail classes for 2 weeks to understand what the program is all about. I am sure it will give you a better perspective of what the program is all about. To enquire please callÂ +91 75-0606-8999 or email enquiry@
What you must know
- Conceptual Understanding & Application: Emphasizes on the foundational understanding and application of maths as a subject in the real world.
- Personal Attention: The program is customized for each child and is systematically delivered according to their ability to understand based onÂ Proprietary Assessment Test
- Critical Thinking: Students are encouraged to think through a problem rather than providing ready made solutions.
- Heuristics: The child is made to explore various possibilities to the math problems and then applies the most effective one.
- Logical Reasoning: The child will learn how to logically and intelligently work on a problem.
- Metacognition: At S.A.M., using the Step up Approach the level of difficulty builds as the child gets better.
- Independent Thinking: The child is allowed to use his creativity to solve the problem rather than telling him what to do.
- Discipline: The programme aims to instill the discipline of daily homework for sometime everyday.
The curriculum is divided into three levels according to a child’s age.
Pre-Primary Â Ages 3-6
Lower Primary Ages 6-9
Upper Primary Ages 9-12
What does it offer??
- Weekly lesson plan comprising up to once or twice a week 60 minute class-based instruction and take-home worksheets for the rest of the week.
- Over 30,000 worksheets, divided into modular topics with increasing levels of difficulty. Worksheets for pre-schoolers have interesting colour graphics, while those for upper Primary students are similar to the problem sums that they would encounter in school.
- Through classroom exercises it engages students with dialogue, probing questions, props, games and a healthy dose of encouragement to introduce new concept.
- The worksheet follow a Narrative & Fun, Step-up Approach and are Modular in nature.
What SAM is not?
This is very important to understand versus the other programs that are currently being offered and the preconceived notions people have about Maths classes
- It is not restricted to just worksheets, the team at S.A.M. will also guide your child with Â Classroom Based Learning which involves learning through blocks, props and games. the manipulative an method is of utmost importance
- It is not about rote learning but understanding the concepts and then applying them. Even tables are explained and not asked to rote learn.
- It does not intend to conflict with what is taught in school but to compliment the school curriculum. The program will aid the child’s learning irrespective of the board he/she is pursuing
- The age of the child does not determine the level he pursues but his aptitude and assessment level
The S.A.M sessions are 60-minute lessons weekly or bi-weekly with a Trainer/Student ratio of 1:6
Pricing:Â Approx. INR 2,500 per month. It may vary marginally from centre to centre.
Locations: Parel, Powai, Colaba, Juhu, Nerul, Goregaon(E)
Offer For Kidsstoppress Parent: Mention the code (KSP) Â in your communication with any of the S.A.M centres Â before October 4th and get entitled to 2 weeks of free demo classes
Visit their website: www.seriouslyaddictivemaths.in
For enquiries call:Â +91 75-0606-8999 and enquiry@
This post is sponsored by SAM India