Congratulations! Yay! or OMG, OMG, OMG!
Whatever emotion you are feeling at the moment, it is perfectly natural. You have a positive on a pregnancy test and that is a huge step. You are about to grow a life inside of you for the next nine months. So the first thing you need to do is let it sink in.
Now, whether you planned this pregnancy or it just ‘happened’, I’m sure you are wondering,” Ok, what now? What next?”
You may also like: Should I fast during Ramzan if I am pregnant?
Here is your handy list for what you need to immediately after you find out you are pregnant!
- First like we said above, let it sink in: Yes, this is HUGE news and it can get very daunting. After all your life, as you know it, is about to change forever. So it is perfectly normal to be scared one minute and super excited the next. Let it sink in and that’s why the next point is important
- Share the news: You absolutely need to tell someone just so you can have someone hold your hand while you experience emotions mentioned above. So share the news with your spouse, he is going to be your partner for the next crazy nine months anyway! You could also talk to your mom or dad and they might be able to offer better advice.
- Call your GP: Your GP might be able to recommend a good gynaecologist, of course, if you don’t already have one. Make sure the doctor you go to is someone you are comfortable with as you will be seeing that person a lot over the coming months. Call and make an appointment.
- Figure out your due date: Try and figure out how far along you are with the help of missed periods, pregnancy symptoms etc. Your gynaecologist will ask you questions and figure out the approximate due date of the baby too.
- Take care of yourself: We can’t stress this enough. It is time to take care of yourself! There we said it again! Put your feet up, stop smoking/drinking and make sure you take your supplements. Have a list of things you like eating. Make sure your house is stocked with healthy foods, snacks, and cut back on caffeine.
- Take care of early pregnancy symptoms: Baby might be teeny-weeny at the moment but pregnancy has a way of making sure you never forget. If you have early pregnancy symptoms like nausea and morning sickness. Call your GP and find out how you can take care of it.
- Start eating healthy: If you aren’t already!
- Talk about sharing the news: Make a list of who you want to share the news with as a couple. My husband and I decided we would share the news with 5 people each. It could be friends, co-workers, anyone. This is your close-knit circle and the rest of the world can wait until after the first trimester to know.
- Read: Invest in some pregnancy books that will answer questions and keep you informed about what is going on with you. Trust me, these are very helpful!
You may also like: The craziest advice all pregnant Indian women will hear