Good nutrition is essential for growing children since that is the period of rapid development and activity for them. Children need proper nutrients to stay healthy and strong. But kids don’t always eat what they are given and the concept of food has evolved over time.
The traditional thali was a balanced meal that has been replaced by finding quicker and easier meal ideas since everyone is stretched for time. And that has led to parents being anxious about their child’s growth and development and looking for vitamin supplement options.
I remember a time when the only supplement for kids in most households came in a doggy bottle. But now the supplements market for kids and adults has just exploded.
- As a parent, we all have the same questions –
- Is there such a thing as an “unhealthy” kids vitamin?
- Which vitamins are the best?
- Do kids even need vitamins at all?
- Is this preservative in the supplement OK for my child?
Mansi Zaveri, Founder of Kidsstoppress got together with Dr Sanjeeva Reddy, Consultant Paediatric ICU & Neonatology at Manipal Hospital, Bengaluru and Nonita Mehta, Director- Fundoze to get some answers. They talked about
- Picky eaters and what parents can do from early childhood
- Importance of knowing the kind of supplements a child needs
- Reading labels on the back of a bottle
- Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies
- How artificial sweeteners and flavours can affect kids
Dr Reddy laid great emphasis on the fact that we need to provide developmentally appropriate support for the kids to have healthy eating habits and that should be done from a young age.
We also spoke to Nonita Mehta about the role of artificial sweeteners in their supplements and she was very clear that artificial sweeteners weren’t even an option especially when it came to supplements for kids since they are aware of the effects it has on a child’s health. Benefits of natural supplements and enforcing quality supplements over trend-based consumption. (You can check out their product range here )
So if you have the same concerns as we did and want to know what the experts say, watch the full video and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay connected and get regular updates.