When 4 PM arrives, we all tend to get peckish. Most of us like to munch on when we sip on our chai/coffee. The recipe we're sharing today is a simple one but packs a grat flavour.
Chivda or Poha Chivda is a quick and easy tea time snack made with poha (flattened rice). It is a healthy snack made during the Diwali festival amongst all the fried Diwali snacks.
This healthy snack is made by roasting thin poha variety with few spices, curry leaves and nuts (peanuts, sliced coconut, chana dal). It makes the perfect snack to munch on with your tea or coffee.
During this festive season, we all prefer to make homemade goodies as we know that it is made with proper hygiene and good quality oil.
Note: There are two types of poha varieties available in the market, thin and thick. We are using a thin variety to make this chivda recipe. It has a papery thin texture. You have to make sure that the curry leaves and green chillies are fried until all the moisture is gone.
Let's get cooking
- Thin Poha
- Curry Leaves
- Chana Dal
- Dry Red Chillies / Green Chillies
- Sesame Seeds
- Amchur Powder
- Coconut slices (optional)
- Fry some chana dal till light brown
- Fry broken cashew bits lightly
- Fry peanuts till crisp
- Dry roast the poha. Just shake the pan a few times or the poha will break
- Heat oil and add the sesame seeds & hing till they splutter
- Add the chillies & curry leaves & cook till crisp
- Put a tsp of haldi (turmeric)
- Add the poha to the pan
- Stir well to combine.
- Mix in the chana dal, peanuts, cashews & coconut slices if using
- Give it a good stir.
- Sprinkle some amchur powder & mix.
- Let it cool completely before storing chivda in an airtight container
Don't forget to tag us @kidsstoppress when you try this out. We would love to know how it turned out!