There are some things which are available only in winter – gajjar ka halwa, sarson ka saag, nolen gur sandesh and ponkh. Of all these foods Ponkh is my favourite. Ponkh is a Gujarati delicacy that is a winter speciality in Western India. It goes by a few other names like hurda or green jowar.
These tender green seeds are harvested sorghum (jowar) which are eaten while the grains are still juicy, bright and tender. These green seeds are packed with healthy goodness and are rich in protein, niacin, iron, and vitamins B1 and B2. For all those who have allergies, ponkh is gluten-free. So get your fill of this snack before it disappears from the market.
The unfortunate part is that ponkh is actually available for a very short period in the winters. So before it goes out season, we thought we would share a ponkh recipe with you that the family is sure to love – Ponkh Bhel.
Watch the video and learn how to make this nutritious and tasty snack. Don’t forget to tell us how it turned out.
Ingredients for Ponkh Bhel
- Ponkh (Tender Jowar Seeds)
- Steamed Sweet Corn
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Pomegranate Seeds ( Anar Dana)
- Chopped Coriander ( Dhania Patta)
- Black Salt ( Kala Namak)
- Lemon Juice
- Chaat Masala
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)
- Wash the ponkh well and drain.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, seviyan and peanuts to the ponkh. Give it a mix.
- Add salt, lal mirch powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and dhania patta as per taste.
- Top it with pomegranate seeds and mix it well.
- Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds and seviyan.
- Your ponkh bhel is ready